Spending too much on driving traffic, but not getting enough sales from your website? Want to experiment with doing conversion rate optimization (CRO) to increase your online sales, yet don’t want to spend too much doing it initially?
Well, help is here! I have created a list of 25 tips and free trials you can use to kickstart and increase your online sales and conversions without spending a penny.
- Improve your homepage headline with this free headline checker.
The more magnetizing your headlines, the higher chance that your visitors will stay on your site and convert, particularly on your homepage.
- Offer a free incentive like an ebook or consultation to capture emails.
Don’t rely on your visitors converting first time – getting your visitors email means you can follow up using follow-up email marketing efforts.
- Use Browserling to check if your site looks broken on any browsers.
Even slight differences in how browsers show CSS can make a website look broken, increasing website exits and reducing sales – go and check all now!
- Analyze your form drop off rate using a free trial of Formisimo.
Having confusing or unnecessary fields in your forms will lower the chances of visitors completing them – analyze drop off with this great new tool.
- Use short testimonials on your homepage to build more social proof.
Improving your testimonials is one of the best ways of increasing social proof and sales. Think short and focused on benefits, not dull and long.
- Test a radically new homepage with Google Content Experiments.
Testing a radically different improved homepage (style, layout and improved focus on call-to-actions) will have a high chance of increasing your sales.
- State your unique value proposition clearly on your homepage.
Don’t presume visitors know the benefits of using your site, or why use it instead of a competitor. State it clearly on your homepage above the page fold!
- Create landing pages for your PPC traffic with a free trial of LanderApp.
Don’t just send your paid search visitors to your homepage, build more targeted landing pages for each of your keywords to increase sales.
- Add a tagline under logo to help explain your unique value proposition.
Your logo is one of the first things visitors see – showing a snappy tagline there to explain your unique value proposition helps them understand it.
- Use a free trial of Olark to get live feedback from your visitors.
Using a free web chat tool to ask visitors their issues/what is lacking will help you come up with great ideas for improving your site.
- Mention ’100% safe and secure’ in your cart and checkout pages.
Reducing visitor’s purchase worry on these pages (where it will be highest) is key for reducing cart abandonment and increasing sales.
- Get free website usability feedback from visitors using IntuitionHQ.
Kind of like a free Usertesting.com, this tool helps you gain great feedback and website improving ideas from people using your website.
- Run an A/B test for the subject line of your next email campaign.
Your emails are an extension of your website, and testing them can also have a huge impact on driving more high quality repeat traffic.
- Try buying or signing up on your own website to check for issues.
When was the last time you did this? Put yourself in your visitors shoes and see how easy it is and what could be improved. Then get your mom to try too.
- Run a free test at FiveSecondTest to find what your visitors think.
It’s important to understand your visitor’s initial reactions to your site – if they don’t understand it, they won’t stick around and convert.
- Offer reviews and ratings to build social proof for free with Re-vu.
Adding reviews and ratings is essential for building social proof for your site products/offerings, and will increase sales – and that tool is totally free.
- Get rid of your homepage slider and replace with good static image.
Homepage sliders are often confusing and problematic – don’t presume they will work better than a powerful image and headline that doesn’t rotate.
- Improve your webpage load time using Google Page Speed.
Reducing page load time helps decrease the chances of visitors leaving prematurely – and Google gives rankings boosts to sites that load quickest.
- On your forms, clearly state that you won’t spam your visitors.
We all hate spam! To increase form completions make sure you clearly state by your from that you won’t spam visitors or sell their email address.
- Try a better ecommerce platform using the BigCommerce free trial.
Rather than trying to improve your ecommerce site, consider switching to a better platform with built-in conversion optimization best practices.
- Create major use cases for visitors and make sure your homepage solves them.
Make sure your homepage helps visitors easily achieve their most common tasks (use cases) – if you don’t, they will leave and find another site that does.
- Discover what your visitors are really doing using CrazyEgg free trial
Don’t presume you know what your visitors are clicking on – using a heatmap tool like this will help you understand better and make improvements.
- Add a good call-to-action button at the end of your web pages.
Make sure your key pages don’t dead end – show visitors a good call-to-action at the end with a good reason to check out your other content/offerings.
- Create a mobile optimized website using a free trial of Dudamobile.
Make sure you better meet your visitors needs on their smart phones – this great service let’s you convert your exiting site into a mobile friendly version.
- Declutter your side bar to focus on your most important content.
Side bars often become dumping grounds – declutter yours by only showing the most important content relating to your key goals or visitor use cases.
So there we have it. 25 free tips and trials to kickstart and increase your website sales.
Liked this article about increasing online sales? Please do one of these next. Thanks!
a) Comment below – We’d love to hear from you. Which ways work best for you? Which of these tips will you try first?
b) Take action – Try implementing at least one of the tips or free trials listed above.
c) Share this – If you think your friends and colleagues will love this, please share using the social media icons below.