Creating high-impact landing pages are essential if you want better results from your online marketing efforts. And there are now many tools that help you quickly create high quality landing pages. But which landing page tool is best? There are now so many to choose from, each with different benefits.
To help you decide for yourself, I have compared and reviewed the three leading landing page tools – Unbounce, Instapage and LeadPages. I have created a comparison table including ratings for key aspects of the tools, listed the pros and cons of each, and who each tool is best for.
First of all, why use a landing page creation tool?
- Lets you create high quality website pages quickly and easily without needing help from developers
- Few design skills are needed as tools come with many stylish modern templates to choose from
- You benefit from templates featuring best practices to convert more visitors into sales or leads
So now let’s move onto the actual ratings and comparisons for these major landing page creation tools. As you can see each has their own specific advantages and disadvantages:
|Cost||Plans from $79 a month for their ‘Essential’ level (500K visitors).||Plans start from $68 a month for ‘Core’ level (200K visitors).||Plans start from $25 a month for ‘Standard’ level (unlimited visitors).|
|Amount and quality of landing page templates
||9/10 Great amount of templates (125+) and very high quality with built in conversion best practices. All are now mobile optimized.||9/10 Over 100 templates for all major categories like lead generation and webinars. Fairly good quality templates which are all mobile optimized.||7/10 The highest amount of templates offered, but many have extra cost to use. Varying quality of templates, but are all mobile optimized.|
|Ease of use of the page editor
||8/10 Ease to use page editor. Advanced features are harder for beginners though.||8/10 Simple to use and intuitive editor menu system. Ideal for beginners.||8/10 Easy to use editor that is very intuitive and ideal for beginners.|
|Ability to customize pages
||9/10 Excellent ability with full drag and drop options. Not limited to a grid system.||8/10 Good drag and drop functionality for customizing pages and CSS editing options.||5/10 Very limited page customization ability as it uses a rigid grid layout for editing.|
|Amount of landing page features
||8/10 Great amount of features. Includes new ‘convertables’ popups and sticky bars.||8/10 Good amount of features. Lacks popups, but includes good countdown timers and multi-step forms.||9/10 Highest amount of features and includes variety of popup and exit intent options.|
|Landing page hosting and tool integration options||9/10 Pages hosted on their servers or on WordPress. Great tool integration options including most email marketing tools and Google Analytics.||9/10 Pages hosted on most websites including WordPress, and an option to host on their servers. Good amount of tool integrations.||9/10 Pages hosted on most types of website including WordPress or their servers. Good amount of tool integration options.|
|Analytics and reporting options
||8/10 Simple reporting of traffic and conversions, with good option to get traffic and conversion reports by email.||9/10 Excellent reporting functionality and conversion tracking, now with click heatmaps on premium plans.||8/10 Good reporting and graph options make it easy to understand traffic and conversions.|
|A/B testing options
||8/10 Good A/B testing options, with easy ability to create multiple variations.||6/10 A/B testing available but not included in the basic plan level.||6/10 A/B testing available but also not included in the basic plan level.|
|Popup lead generation options
||9/10 Has great new ‘convertables’ popups for lead generation including exit intent.||0/10 No popup options included (I suggest using a tool like Optin Monster in addition).||9/10 Strong emphasis on popups with their excellent ‘Lead Boxes’ feature.|
||9/10 Phone, email and live chat support at all plan levels. Great coaching included in enterprise level.||7/10 Varies by plan. Email support only at lowest plan. Phone support only offered in highest level plan.||7/10 Varies by plan. Email support only at lowest plan. Phone support only offered in highest level plan.|
|Overall rating||9/10 Has the best page editing options and flexibility. Definitely the best option for experts and marketing teams.||9/10 Great all-around tool and at a great price. Reasonable editor with good features, for beginners and experts.||8/10 Lowest cost and great popup options, but page editor gives least flexibility. Better suited for beginners.|
|Free trial?||Get a 30-day free trial of Unbounce||Get a 30-day free trial of Instapage||No free trial, but has money back guarantee|
As you can see from the comparison table, all three tools have high ratings, so now let’s explore in more detail. Here are the pros and cons of each tool, and then which type of user each tool is ideal for.
Overall an excellent choice, ideal for marketers who want to get the most flexibility for creating pages. Comes at higher cost than the other landing page tools though.
- Has the most flexible editor which is not restricted to a grid system like LeadPages uses
- New ‘convertables’ feature for lead generation is great with many popup types
- Great high quality templates with many conversion best practices built in
- Has dynamic keyword replacement for getting better results from PPC campaigns
- Offers the best support options even at the lowest plan level, including phone support
- Most expensive tool and gets more expensive with high traffic levels (over 5,000 visitors per month)
- Doesn’t offer as many features as the other tools e.g. lacks countdown timer
- Beginners may prefer other landing page tools that have a simpler grid editing system
Rating on G2Crowd: 4.4/5 (as of December 2017)
Try the tool for yourself: Get a free 30 day trial of Unbounce
Overall a great landing page tool for beginners and experts, with good options (apart from offering no popups though), a simple to use editor, and at a great low cost.
- The highest amount of templates included with fairly good quality
- Has one of the easiest to use editors for customizing pages, great for beginners
- Very easy to setup and integrate with WordPress and other common tools
- Offers great built-in click heatmaps on their premium plans
- No popup functionality included, unlike the other tools reviewed
- The ability to do A/B testing is not available in the lowest plan level
- The editor could offer more customization options, not as good as Unbounce
Rating on G2Crowd: 4.7/5 (as of December 2017)
Try the tool for yourself: Get a free 30 day trial of Instapage
The lowest cost option and great for beginners wanting to create pages quickly, although has the poorest flexibility to customize pages out of all the tools.
- Excellent popup functionality with their Lead Boxes feature, great for lead capture
- Offer the lowest monthly plan for creating landing pages ($25)
- Good amount of templates that don’t need much customization
- They offer the biggest template marketplace if you want to buy versus create
- Poorest page customization options out of all tools, restricted to a fixed grid layout
- They don’t offer the ability to start from a blank page, you must start from a template
- Many of their templates look very average or have become too commonly used
- They don’t offer a free 30 day trial like the other tools offer
Rating on G2Crowd: 4.1/5 (as of December 2017)
Try the tool for yourself: No free trial, but they offer a money back guarantee
So which landing page tool is better?
As you can see, all three tools rate well for creating landing pages. Each have different strengths and weaknesses which will be more important to different types of users. To help you understand which is better for your needs, here are the main tool differences and who each is ideal for:
- Use Unbounce if you want the most flexibility when creating pages and want the most customization options. Ideal for experienced online marketers with advanced needs for landing pages.
- Use Instapage if you want a good overall tool for creating and editing landing pages at a reasonable cost. Ideal for online marketers who have moderate landing page needs.
- Use LeadPages if you are beginner or want landing simple pages, and don’t want many customization options. Ideal for entrepreneurs who want to create simple landing pages quickly.
So which tool you should chose really depends on what your needs are for creating landing pages. Personally I use Unbounce for creating my landing pages as I prefer greater editing options and flexibility. I suggest you check out Unbounce and Instapage and see for yourself as they both offer a 30 day free trial.
Other landing page tools worth checking out
I reviewed and compared the 3 most popular landing page creation tools. There are some other good options you can consider though, and each have their own strengths:
- OptimizePress – a landing page WordPress plugin, ideal if you don’t want to pay monthly
- LanderApp – one of the lowest cost and better landing page tools to appear recently
- KickOffLabs – growing fast and includes unique email marketing and contest features
That is my expert 2 cents for the best landing page tools. Now over to you – which is your favorite tool for creating landing pages? Please comment below. Thanks!